MLB Cancels All-Star Game for the First Time in 75 Years Due to Pandemic
By: Kathleen Guo
Dodger Stadium remains barren on what was supposed to be Major League Baseball’s opening day—March 26, now postponed due to the coronavirus; their 40-year wait to host the All-Star Game is going to last even longer. The opening day had been delayed already, from March to July 23 or 24.
“Once it became clear we were unable to hold this year’s All-Star festivities, we wanted to award the Dodgers with the next available All-Star Game, which is 2022,” baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement.
The last time a game was excused was 75 years ago, in 1945, because of the travel restrictions in place during the midst of World War 2. The Dodgers hosted the only Mid-Summer Classic in Dover Stadium history in 1980, won 4-2 by the National League. The Dodgers had been planning to host the 91st All-Star Gamer since being chosen in 2018. They had sent teams of planners to Washington, D.C., in 2018 and Cleveland last year to study what did and didn’t work for those host cities.
The Dodgers stadium has seen $100 million worth of renovations, such as two acres of food and entertainment as well as elevators and escalators and new speakers. It has also gotten new HD video screens and sound systems, wider concourses and renovated restrooms.
Much is waiting when the crowd eventually returns to watch the big game live. Retired Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully gave a brief narration of the project.
““When we get back to baseball, Dodger fans will be greeted with the most significant upgrade to the fan experience in the history of our storied venue,” he said.