top of page
  • EWC Community

Blind Dog Found Three Weeks After it Was Lost in Alaska

By: Yeeyao Wong

In Sitka, Alaska, an Alaskan family thought it was over for their blind dog named Lulu, but when a construction crew spotted her in some bushes and mistook her for a bear, they were all happy again.

Lulu was barely living after she was found on Tuesday, but now she is healing and is back home with her family, according to the Daily Sitka Sentinel. The family was searching for three weeks after the dog ran away on Tuesday.

“She means everything,” Ted Kubacki, Lulu’s owner, said. “I have five daughters, and they’re 4 to 13 years old, so they’ve spent every day of their life with that dog.”

“She’s just so helpless, and you kind of imagined that she can’t get real far because she can’t see,” he added.

It didn’t help when they were pranked by someone a few days after Lulu got lost. That person texted that they found the dog.

“We put the kids to bed and got a text saying We found your dog, or I have your dog, and we’re like, oh my god, this is incredible,” Kubacki said. “Then the person texted me: Just kidding. This happened, yeah, that was all part of this terrible story.”

The family had been looking for weeks until they gave up. But then, a construction crew saw Lulu in a nearby bush alongside a road, and when they just saw her, they thought she was a bear.

“They got a closer look and they realized that it was a dog, and they got her out of there,” said Kubacki.

The family was not sad anymore when he received the call that said that Lulu was found.

“I called my wife from work and it was just screaming… she just starts yelling then she yells to the kids. And I just hear them screaming like crazy,” said Kubacki.

Although she was still living, Lulu was not well. She had lost 23 pounds after she ran away, and she was dehydrated, very dirty and her fur was matted.

“I just expected to come back and be like ‘Hey, here’s my dog.’ She’s going to jump up and wag her tail and kiss my face, and she couldn’t even pick up her head,” said Kubacki. “She’d been through the wringer.”

After some time, Lulu’s health has improved a lot with care, rest, and food.

“Slowly but surely she started eating and she was kind of able to pick her head up,” said Kubacki. “But then yesterday, she propped herself up on her front paws by herself, like nestled into me and gave me a kiss and wagged her tail and it was just so great.”

A day after that, she could stand up on her own.

Kubacki, who is a grocery store worker and the main money provider for his family, worried about the money he had to pay for Lulu.

Thankfully, the worries were gone when some residents of Sitka donated hundreds of dollars to pay for Lulu’s health bills.

“We have our family member home,” Kubacki said.


2 views0 comments
bottom of page